My name is Jennifer Scarbrough. I am the case manager for four students in Class B for Summer Learning Place. I will be teaching reading, writing, and math to all students in 2nd and 3rd grades. I will be working with another teacher from my Practicum course. She and I will be co-planning and co-teaching all subjects. We begin on Tuesday, July 8th and will end on July 30th at Sevier Middle School. Summer Learning Place will be in session from 8:30 to 11:30 every Monday through Thursday. We have break from 9:50 to 10:05.
Feelings about this experience:
I am looking forward to working with new students. I am new to working with this age group. I have been teaching high school for the past three years in a special education classroom. I think it will be difficult to truly understand all of their strengths and weaknesses in such a short amount of time. After speaking to my students' parents, it seems that memory and retaining skills over time are going to need to be addressed. I am also nervous about planning lessons. I work in a Tutorial classroom, where I work with students on what they bring to my class from the general education classroom. My partner teacher is an Elementary school teacher, so I am hoping she can help me in this area. I am not sure what to expect for tomorrow. With teaching, every day brings new and exciting challenges and victories. I am excited for what is to come.
Goals for this experience:
1. Get better at managing time, transitions and lesson planning
2. Learn strategies to help students with memory and retention issues
3. Learn how to better facilitate cooperative learning activities
· Tutorial Teacher (Special Education-Resource Setting)- Mauldin High School, 2012-present
· Substitute Teacher (All subjects and grade levels)- Spartanburg Districts 3 and 7, 2011-2012
· Reading Resource Teacher (5th grade)- Carroll Middle School, 2010-2011